The minister of Education and Sports Janet Museveni has this Thursday afternoon released the 2018 Uganda Certificate of Examinations (UCE) results at the Statistics House in Kampala.
According to the UNEB statistics, a total number of 336,740 candidates sat for the 2018 UCE exams from 3,658 centres out of whom 169,984 are boys and 166,756 are girls. 27,696 passed in the first grade, 52,706 in 2nd grade, 70,347 in 3rd grade, 137,058 or 41.5% attained 4th grade. 42,334 students failed to attain any grade and are supposed to repeat.
The number of candidates whose results are withheld has greatly reduced from 4525 in 2017 to 1877 in UCE 2018.
Prof Mary Okwakol, the UNEB Chairperson says that 1977 candidates whose results were withheld last year were cleared, while the rest were canceled.
Responding to the social media allegations that UNEB under marks Kampala schools, Prof Okwakol said UNEB does not use a grading system that takes advantage of any category of schools in any part of the country.
Prof Okwakol says only one standardized marking scheme is used by all examiners in a particular subject. The board also adopted a conveyor belt
marking system, where a candidate script is marked by a group of examiners.