The ministry of health has Monday confirmed 21 more cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in Uganda to 248.
The new cases were confirmed from 1,071 samples from various points of entry into the country.
Ministry officials say all cases are Ugandan nationals from Elegu, Mutukula and Malaba points.
Dr Henry Mwebesa, the director general of Health Services at the ministry refuted claims of 105 truck drivers who tested positive according to the ‘fake tweet’ being circulated on social media.
He said that the ministry did not release results on Sunday because samples had to be sorted appropriately and divided between Uganda Virus Research Institute and the National Health Laboratory Services by laboratory teams for quick turnaround time.
He said that Ugandan truck drivers who test positive will be evacuated directly to hospitals, while foreign truckers who test positive are advised to return to their places of origin.
Dr Mwebesa said that all truck drivers have to undergo COVID-19 testing and receive results before proceeding to Immigration at border points.
Despite the rising number of cases brought in by mostly truck drivers, President Yoweri Museveni still insists that cargo transportation must continue arguing that stopping them would have a very detrimental effect on the economy since they bring in “essential goods”.
Previously, truck drivers were allowed to proceed with their journey after their samples had been taken and when the results turned positive, they would be followed up.
The president is expected to announce more measures today.