More than 30 people are feared dead in the fresh mudslides that hit Bududa District in Eastern Uganda on Tuesday.
Justine Khainza, Bududa District Woman Member of Parliament told Monday Times by telephone that the landslides occurred at Bunabutiti in Manjiya County at around 16:30 local time.
“It’s very unfortunate. It’s estimated 10-15 people could have died in this afternoon landslide. The landslides swept away five houses in Bunabutiti,” said Khainza.
Floods reportedly swept into 20 houses and crop gardens. Most roads in the district were also flooded, making movement rather difficult. Mr Moses Lukuya, the chairman Namali village said they can hardly cross to their homes from work.
A number of people are still buried in the soggy ground, and can hardly be accessed due to the shortage of personnel and equipment.
The tragedy follows five hours of consistent and heavy rainfall, on Tuesday.
By press time Tuesday evening, only residents were involved in the rescue efforts. Bushika Sub County Councilor, Mr Simuya Mabuko appealed to government to expedite the relocation of people from the mudslide-prone areas in Bududa District.
Last year, more than 850 people were displaced and other 51 died, when mudslides hit Bukalasi and Buwali sub-counties in Bududa district. The areas were also hit by another landslide in June this year, which left at least three people dead.