Gen.Paul Malong the exiled former Chief of General Staff of the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army (SPLA) has launched a new rebellion in South Sudan an online newspaper ‘Nyamile’ reports.
Quoting recordings of phone conversations allegedly between Malong and his rebel commanders Nyamile states that Malong’s forces were responsible for the recent attacks in Juba.

“CONVERSATION ONE
Date & time: 26-12-2017 16:49:21 Conversation between Gen. Paul Malong Awan and Bak in Wau
Malong asked to confirm if Bak is aware of the current event and preparation in the country, the associate confirmed that he is ware. Malong instructed the associate to start their operation in Wau from today or tomorrow. Malong added that the first target is the National Security’s office of Gen. Akol Koor in Wau and he also instructed Bak to capture the airport in Wau. Malong said the operation will start everywhere within the country including the oilfields. Bak complained that his wife went to Juba and he is the one taking care of the children, Malong told him not to wait for his wife and should leave the children with somebody.
CONVERSATION TWO
Date & time: 28-12-2017 11:31:04 Conversation between Gen. Paul Malong Awan in Kampala and Lt. Col. Chan Garang Lual in Kuda
Malong informed Chan that he has arrived in Kampala yesterday and they are going to attend the meeting today. Malong said the group in Awiel mismanaged the operation yesterday but they have reorganized themselves this morning and will start the operation today. Malong instructed Chan to start the operation today, targeting the two training centers of Akol Koor (NSS) in Luri and the other ones for the army in Gorum. Malong said that there are two platoons that will join those of Chan after the operation because he talked to them yesterday at night; Chan said he had directed the two platoons before but they didn’t turn up. Malong said people are now reporting because of fear of being arrested. Chan said he was worried about the Ugandan government but now he is happy because Uganda is going to support them. Malong replied that Uganda wants a unified coalition that is why they are going to discuss the issues during the meeting today. Malong informed Chan that all the factions are in the meeting accept the group of Riek Machar.
CONVERSATION THREE
Date & time: 28-12-2017 18:57:44 Conversation between Gen. Malong Awan in Uganda and Manut Yel Lual in Malual-Bai
Malong asked about the delay of the operation and he warned that those of Manut shouldn’t repeat the mistake that was done by Garang Ngong, Manut replied that they are still waiting for the forces and those of Yel Deng, Makuch and Mou didn’t turn up. Malong instructed Manut to start the operation so that the remaining forces loyal to them can later join them; he added that those of Manut should start laying ambushes along the road. Malong said those of Manut can disrupt the movement of the vehicles of the government’s forces if they are in possession of two PKM or RPG machine guns. Manut confirmed that they have four PKM and all ammos for operation are with Garang Ngong, he added that they have three PKM (one is functional and two are faulty) and two RPG without fuses. Malong asked about their plan and Manut replied they have planned to attack Madhol. Malong instructed that those of Manut should attack Madhol and other places because there are few government’s forces in those areas.
(Source: Nyamile)
The existence of the recordings could not be verified by Monday Times.
Gen.Malong has also dismissed the recordings as a concoction although he says he will launch a rebellion soon if things do not change in South Sudan.
Malong left the country late last year after ‘reconciling’ with President Salva Kiir who he had fallen out with. They fell out after Malong was dropped as Chief of General Staff last year.
He is reportedly based in Nairobi although some sources say he is holed up in Uganda.
The new rebellion could be a set back in attempts to restore peace in the war ravaged nation.