The Uganda Journalists Association (UJA) has dragged the Uganda Communications Commissions (UCC) to court seeking to stop its directive to some media houses to suspend at least 39 journalists for allegedly violating broadcasting standards.
In their application, UJA seeks for a temporary injunction halting the suspension of the journalists before the main application is disposed of by court.
In the main application, the journalists’ body says the orders by UCC are an infringement on the freedom of expression and speech as enshrined in the constitution.
“The respondent(UCC) through the impugned directives threatens and intends to unfairly, unconstitutionally and arbitrarily exercise statutory powers, violate media freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, human rights of media workers and the right to information,” UJA says in their suit.
The journalists’ body also argues the directives interfere with editorial freedom and independence of media by purporting to set arbitrary and unconstitutional standards which are neither enshrined in the constitution nor in the laws of Uganda.
“Unless restrained by this honorable court, the respondent will arbitrarily gag the media, curtail free speech and freedom of expression, impose unconstitutional limitations and blankets on the media which are not acceptably and demonstrably justifiable in a free and democratic society,” UJA says.
UJA avers that the respondent (UCC) has, and, or threatens to usurp the powers vested in the Media Council through its directive that the 13 media houses should within three days submit to the commission the names, particulars and qualifications of the producers, editors and heads of programme.
Following a Tuesday meeting with broadcasters, UCC rescinded its decision to have the affected journalists suspended from their workplaces but rather step aside from their usual positions to allow for investigations.
Meanwhile, last week, two lawyers, Ronald Bwire and Henry Byansi, petitioned the same court accusing UCC of targeting media stations for airing content, especially live broadcasts, of breaking news in a manner likely to mislead or cause alarm to the public.
They also want court to check UCC’s excessive powers against the media in order to ensure respect of media freedom and adherence to the rule of law and constitutionalism by other government agencies.
Justice Lydia Mugambe is set to hear this application tomorrow even as it emerged on Tuesday that UCC is insisting that the journalists must step aside for one month to pave way for investigations.