Kenya coronavirus cases rise to 607

0
37 views

Twenty-five more people have tested positive for Covid-19, raising Kenya’s total number of confirmed cases to 607, since the first one was reported on March 13.

The Health ministry, in its daily briefing on Thursday, said Nairobi accounted for 17 of the new cases, Kajiado and Wajir two each and Migori, Isiolo, Mombasa and Nakuru one each.

Isiolo’s case was the first, raising the total number of affected counties to 18.

Health Chief Administrative Secretary Rashid Aman also announced that seven more patients had been discharged, raising the total number of recoveries to 197.

He also said three more patients have died, raising the death toll in Kenya to 29.

CAS Aman said that of the 25 cases, Nairobi accounted for 17, nine of them being in Eastleigh.

On Wednesday, the government banned movement into and out of Eastleigh and Old Town Mombasa after they emerged as hotspots.

In an appeal for adherence to anti-virus rules, CAS Aman said, “It’s been noted that people in Eastleigh and Old Town are sneaking out. Note that you may unknowingly be transferring the virus to other places within Mombasa and Nairobi as you may be a carrier without knowing.”

In Old Town on Thursday, five people who had tested positive for the disease disappeared from their homes together with their families.

Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho said a search was launched.