Kutesa retires from elective politics after 40 years

0
229 views

Foreign Affairs Minister, Sam Kutesa has Sunday announced that he will not be seeking another Parliamentary term in the upcoming 2021 general elections.

The Mawogola County MP made the shock revelation during a community service initiative in his constituency aimed at maintaining good sanitation.

Kutesa then introduced his daughter, Shatsi Musherure, as his replacement in Mawogola come 2021.

While Kutesa did not explicitly state why he was leaving the political field, he said “time has come to give the young generation support.”

Kutesa told the electorate that her daughter fits in this generation of the youths and thus will be able to do many things for the area.

On her part, Shatsi Kutesa explained that it is time for the young and energetic educated youths to carry on from where their parents and elders have stopped and take the country forward.

She appealed to the Mawogola electorate to entrust her as their next representative in the national house.

Kutesa, believed to be one of the wealthiest Ugandans, has straddled the marbled floors of Parliament since 1980 when he defeated Yoweri Museveni in the acrimonious race for the Mbarara North seat (the current Nyabushozi constituency).

Museveni later petitioned court arguing that Kutesa’s victory had been marred with irregularities.

Museveni alleged that there were cases of presiding officers coaching voters and even entering the voting chambers to suggest to them how to vote.

Yet he never followed up the matter to its conclusion after he decided to launch a bush war against Milton Obote’s government.

Kutesa now joins the club of senior politicians, associated with the NRM, who have left the elective political scene in the recent past. Others are Prime Minister, Ruhakana Rugunda, Crispus Kiyonga, John Nasasira and Henry Muganwa Kajura.