MP Moses Balyeku conducting consultations
Members of Parliament have each received Shs 29 million to carry out consultation in their constituencies regarding the proposed amendment of the age-limit section of the constitution. The proposed amendments under the Constitutional Amendment Bill 2017, would scrap the lower age limit of 35 and the upper age limit of 75.
The combined total amounts to Shs 13 billion.
The decision to consult the electorate was made by Speaker Rebecca Alitwala Kadaga, who said that this was a national matter for which MPs needed to make a very informed decision. Parliament’s Director Communication and Public Affairs Chris Obore disclosed the sum received by each MP.
Earlier this month, Government Chief Whip Ruth Nankabirwa said the MPs would be facilitated by an allocation made by the Parliamentary Commission.
“The Parliamentary Commission is working out a budget because it is Parliament which is going to facilitate all of us.We shall be informed on how much each MP will get to go and consult because we need logistics,” Ms Nankabirwa said while speaking to the media, on October 4, 2014.
Opposition Chief Whip Ibrahim Ssemujju has dismissed the gesture calling it an attempt to “sanitise bribery of Members of Parliament”.