NBS journalist Muyanga Lutaaya faces jail over 260M debt

0
24 views

Jinja High Court deputy registrar Byaruhanga Jesse has issued an arrest warrant to Simon Muyanga Lutaaya over failure to pay court costs arising from election petition in the High Court and Court of Appeal.

Byaruhanga said Muyanga allegedly failed to honour court summons which he referred to as contempt of court.

According to communication from the Progressive Peoples Party which has launched a fundraising, the former Bulamongi MP contestant is supposed to pay Shs 260M after losing the case to National Resistance Movement party (NRM)’s Kenneth Lubogo’s.

The NBS journalist lost the first case in Jinja High Court on August 19, 2016 and he lost the second in the Court of Appeal on November 22, 2017

Muyanga said, “I’m aware of that bill but I appealed the sum. I want it addressed and sorted out because it is too high.”

“The judge however on Wednesday indicated that he has not seen the appeal yet it had been duly signed by Court and acknowledged receipt of our appeal,’’ he added.

It is alleged that Muyanga was supposed to appear in Court on Wednesday to explain his failure to meet the court fines but he did not show up.

According to the warrant of arrest, Muyanga is supposed to be arrested, sent to Kirinya prison or Nalufenya and his property sold off to recover the money.