After a lengthy standoff with government, the striking doctors have called off their strike. The deal struck with government will see the doctors receive a salary increment after a salary review.
The review is expected to take place by December 16, 2017.
A member of the Uganda Medical Association (UMA) who spoke to this newspaper said they were giving government some time to sort out the problem.
“We want them to respond to our demands. We have agreed to give them some time so that they are able to put their house together,” the member said.
The strike paralyzed health centres and was feared to lead to the collapse of the entire health services sector.
During the strike, government threatened to sack all striking doctors. There were also attempts to deploy doctors from the security forces to fill in the gap.
In response, doctors said that they would go to Kenya and work as doctors, if they are sacked.
The doctors’ strike began on November 6 under the auspices of the Uganda Medical Association (UMA). The doctors said they had been promised allowances after they submitted a demand to Parliament for improved conditions. They included a new demand to improve working conditions especially with medical equipment.