President Museveni’s 14th address on key issues in the fight against Covid-19 that had been scheduled to happen Monday evening has been postponed to Tuesday.
Mr. Museveni was slated to address the nation at 8pm as the virus-induced lockdown comes to an end on Wednesday.
Senior Presidential Press Secretary Don Wanyama communicated the changes on Monday afternoon without giving further details.
“The 14th Presidential Address by His Excellency YK Museveni on COVID-19 which was slated for today has been moved to tomorrow, Tuesday 19th, at 8pm,” he said regretting any inconveniences caused.
His announcement came hours after the Ministry of Health reported 21 new cases, bringing the country’s national tally to 248.
According to reports, the escalating number of coronavirus cases in the country have forced the president to extend his address in order to consult his health experts on the way forward.
The consultation is aimed at revising the president’s speech that was organized early.
In her speech recently, the minister of Health Dr. Ruth Aceng hinted on the need for the president to extend the lockdown.
“I want Ugandans to understand that if we lift the lockdown abruptly, you will lose your life. Your efforts will go to the drain. Let’s stay alive, the economy will come later. We don’t want any Ugandan to die of COVID-19. It’s important to stay alive to build the economy,” she said.